Sunday, March 1, 2015

49/365

Now that I've given this as a gift I can post a picture of it. 
When my family got together for Thanksgiving this past year, my great uncle handed me this tiny old picture of he and his siblings and their parents (taken approx. 65 years ago).  The picture was blown as it had been taken during full sun and it was worn like old pictures get.  He tells everyone, as he hands it to me, "Jamie is a really good photographer, I know she'll be able to make it work."  Then he tells me that he would like for me to take it and enlarge it.  All sorts of things were going thru my mind at the time, but mostly I thought "This has nothing to do with photography - there's no way I'm going to be able to do this!"  But me, being the type who finds it hard to say no, took the picture and set out on my quest.  I carried it with me for several days to remind myself about it and consider my options.  I have a scanner, but it's old and I no longer have the cords for it.  I did not want to go somewhere and scan it.  After trying some various things and doing a lot of thinking I tried Joe's magnifying light he uses to paint his models with.  I took pictures of the magnified picture until I felt I had what I needed, I pulled it into PSE, and worked on editing it for a few days.  Then I had it printed thru the professional printer I use - first as a 5x5.  It turned out nice!  Then I pushed it by having it printed as an 8x8.  It turned out great considering!  So, I found a matted frame to put it in and gave it to my great uncle today for his 80th birthday.  I hope it met his hopes/expectations!  I found, in the process, that I really enjoyed doing this and would love to do more!  Perhaps I can add that to the list of services I offer in my photography business (Jamie Shoulders Photography). 
In this photo is my grandfather (who passed before I was born) and his siblings and their parents. 
I took the 5x5 I had printed and matted and framed it for myself.  I just love it!

2 comments:

  1. I have a photo scanner anytime you need to use it for future projects.

    ReplyDelete